Sunday, June 24, 2007

Old Dhaka...

A Harmonium in the making.

A nearly finished Harmonium.
Tabblas hanging from the ceiling.
Men making spice grinders.
The sky was so beautiful yesterday.
School boys stop for fuschka. Which also happens to be my favorite street food.
Beautiful women in saris move effortlessly through the streets.
On Hindu Street. When I first walked down this street 10 months ago, on my second day in Bangladesh, it completely overwhelmed me with all the stimuli. Now that I can speak some Bangla and know how to move without getting hit by a rickshaw it was a lot of fun yesterday. This street is really cool and feels so alive. Many instrument shops, jewelry shops, people hanging out drinking cha, Hindu temples. And we walked down it after it rained so it had a fresh cool feeling and the lighting was gorgeous.



a new little friend.
two new little friends.

Jackfruit, Bangladesh's national fruit
Carved conch shell bracelets. Wearing them on your wrists mean you are a married Hindu woman.

Lungis being delivered.
The streets in Old Dhaka are very narrow, and stacked high with shops, apartments, and people looking down on the busyness below.
Pink Palace. Very Colonial.

On Thursday I'll head to India; I'm looking forward to the trip.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

C
Thanks for more photos! And have a great time in India!!! 27 days!
Love,
Dad

Alaina said...

Cic-
I've been a bad blog friend... I have to admit... so seeing all your recent posts and pictures has been great! Thanks for sharing :)
SO excited to see you. I hope India is fantastic. I can't wait to hear about it.
love,
Lain

Unknown said...

what beautiful pictures! and i love your hat, stylin and profilin in dhaka:)