Monday, November 13, 2006

New Scenery

I've officially moved and started my work at the Holy Family Convent. That's right, I live at a convent. Me. Lots of Sisters. Contemplative life. 6am Mass. Gardens. Quiet. Beautiful.

I actually moved in a week ago, but was barely there because of a trip to Dhaka and our MCC expat Thanksgiving last week. (which by the way was A-mazing--we had so much good, non bengali food, only Thanksgiving food and it was such a treat!) Darren and Phillip killed 2 ducks for the occasion....

Today I taught my first group of students. I walked in, they stood up and greeted me with "Good morning madam" and proceeded to sing me a welcome song in Bangla....then one student named Ruby came to the front, kissed my hand and handed me a Peace Lily. It was all very sweet and set the mood to begin our work together. I began with basic get to know you things and introductions, and they all told me about their favorite color, food, mother's name, father's name and lastly, Why they want to learn English. It was interesting to hear. It seems like many students do not think critically about the "whys" of what they are doing....memorizing and test taking is big here...I hope to teach in a way that will encourage thinking and self expression. We also learned body parts and singular verses plural. Making the "p" sound was a challenge.

It was interesting for me to teach in a casual way, while the students are very used to standing when reading an answer and other formalities. I know it will work itself out, and eventually they will be less confused when I keep telling them "bosho" (sit) when they give an answer. Tomorrow we are focusing on vowels and phonetics. It is hard to figure out where to begin, what to teach when and how to judge comprehension. I will just go with the flow as that is how most things go here, and gradually begin to know the student's needs. I am excited to get to know this group of young women, they are so happy to learn. Curious and giggly too.

This afternoon I will be teaching another class of mostly spoken english, focusing on pronunciation; this group of sisters are newer sisters (the first group are "aspirant" sisters and are about 16 years old) Again, I have a few things prepared, but we'll see how it goes and what they need and want to learn. Bangladesh fits my personality in situations like these. :)

Politically things are unstable here. Road Blockades. Processions...although Mymensingh has been very quiet. (or maybe i have no idea because I live at a convent!) The caretaker government did not meet the 11 demands and so the other party is blocking roads and "stockpiling sticks" to let them know it is not okay. I am a little out of the loop with what is actually going on today, I should go and find "The Daily Star" (the English version of the paper).

It is getting cooler here! Much more liveable. Today is about 80 and sunny, with a breeze. It is hard to believe that in Michigan it is chilly, the leaves are gone and everyone is gearing up for winter. I had to use a slightly heavier blanket while sleeping last night--what a change from sweating every night. I hear the next 4 months will be much like today.

A cute story: Last night Reba and I were running back and forth in an open area by the school, on the convent compound, in an attempt to get some exercise (it is really hard to find ways to work out here). We look over and there are about 10 little girls aged about 9 or so watching and whispering...we invited them to come and run with us...we ran races with them, I led some stretches and jumping jacks and a super fun game of follow the leader... it was a blast and by the end I was tired and felt like I had gotten a good work out...hooray for recreation and play...

life is good here in the banglarang.

No comments: